So, you decided to buy a custom cake. You’ve been searching themes and different options for many days, and one night you’ve found the one. You ordered it and today’s the day to pick it up. But how can you transport the cake without having to buy another one after the travel?
There’s a lot of good options on how to move a tiered cake from one location to another. It does not have to be difficult! Just follow some simple guidelines to ensure that your cake will arrive safely.
Prepare the cake for transport:
- Put the cake on a cardboard circle so the sides of the cake don't touch the sides of the box.
- Just in case it is necessary to make any repairs, is better to have an extra frosting, decorating bags, and tips, flowers, and spatulas.
- With more than 2 tier cakes, you’ll need to put extra support with rods.
- Finally, put the cake in a box.
- Find out about the reception location before the event. So you’ll know what to expect when you arrive. Ask whether the room is located upstairs or downstairs and what is the best location for bringing the cake into the building.
- Get someone to ride with you and hold the cake on their lap. This is the best option for 1, 2 and 3 tier cakes. For more tiers, you might need to do option 2.
- Lay non-slip mats on the floor of your trunk or floor of your car or under each tier, and put the cake in a box on top of that. The stickiness will keep the box from shifting around.
- Another way is to use the seats, but because they are angled, you’ll need to use a piece of fabric to level it. A box is essential to protect the cake.
- Transport the cake unassembled. Every tier in different boxes and the decoration too. Assemble at the reception.
- Walk the path you will have to travel to the set-up site before you bring in the cake from your car. Be alert for any bumps along the way and note any tight spaces you will have to maneuver around.
- Make sure the cake table is level, it´s a good idea to bring a level on setup day.
- Request a cart on wheels to move the cake into the reception area. This is easier and safer than carrying it by hand.
- Remove the cakes from the boxes on the reception table by cutting the sides of the boxes and sliding the cakes out.
- Once the cake is assembled, take a picture to establish that the cake was in perfect condition when you left it.